Subject: Third party processor upgrades... can NetBSD work with them?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/09/2002 13:02:00
A couple of days ago I posted a query about a Mac LC that I had just
acquired. It turns out to be the very first (68020 processor) model.
Despite disparaging remarks on some Mac enthusiast websites, it is very
nippy with MacOS 7.5.5 on it. It came with an ethernet adapter which
plugs into the SCSI port, and it is happily connected to my network.

However, I'd still dearly like to get NetBSD running on it. A/UX, while
interesting, is nigh on impossible to get hold of and totally
unhackable. So I am wondering - can this model of LC run NetBSD as is?
It doesn't have an FPU which is a downside, but it doesn't have the
buggy 68CL040 either. Failing that, would something like the following
68040 processor and RAM upgrade be likely to work under NetBSD?

   http://www.sonnettech.com/product/presto_plus.html

Or as a last resort, does anyone know of a telnet package for MacOS 7?
Whenever I mention such a thing to the handful of Mac users I know their
eyes glaze over. Must be fear of the command line.

Chris
--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)
chris.wareham@btopenworld.com (home)