Subject: Re: A couple of queries about Apple Mac LC
To: Jonathan Newquist <jnewquis@esu10.org>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/06/2002 17:47:06
> In other places, MicroImages says they encourage other people to mirror
> their downloads on other sites.  So, did anyone get MI/X-68k before
> microimages killed it?  Care to share?  Or can anyone suggest a combination
> of words to google for, that will have better luck than i did?

Don't bother, it sucks. The Power Mac version is abysmally slow, even on
my G3/500, and the 68K version if memory serves was worse.

> From my quick search, MacX appears to be neither free nor currently marketed.

Correct on both counts, but A/UX is starting to appear in warez^Wunofficial
distribution channels and that includes MacX 1.2.

MacX 1.2 will run on all NuBus Macs and it will run on a PCI Power Mac too
as long as you have MacsBug. This traps all the annoying little F-trap
problems it has and you can just 'G' through them all -- it actually runs
just fine. I use it all the time and it's so much better.

> Methinks we should have a faq, or a chapter therein, where we can stash all
> the good answers that people have.

pickle has a nice FAQ, and there's always www.lowendmac.com to check out.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others. -- G. Marx -