Subject: Re: Can I set up a NetBSD-box to work as an X-terminal?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/23/2002 19:39:27
On 23.11.02, 10:05:52, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> > You also need to comment out the line in <XRoot>/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config
> > that says "DisplayManager.requestPort:   0". Use a "!" for comments in
> > xdm config files.
>
> Have you tried this with the NetBSD/mac68k Xserver? I use keys and all
> that for my other hosts, but the mac68k Xserver doesn't know DES, so I

Yes, I have, You don't need to do anything special, at least I
don't recall I did anything special. I did not use a chooser on
the Mac Xserver, but I got a login widget from the server without
a problem.

I wasn't using the stock Xserver, but a special one that could do
true color. I'm not using the Mac at the moment, so I don't recall
where I found it. But searching the mailing list archives should
turn up something. It could even be a FAQ.

> had to use "xhost" anyway. If you have a firewall, it's not a big

Only if you're the only user or you trust all your users 100%. It's
a bad habit anyway, because the user on the other host does not
even need to be priviledged to open clients on the X-Terminal's
display. Even as a harmless practical joke it can be annoying.

> deal, and if you don't have a firewall, you shouldn't run X anyhow.

> > might not even think that it was "respawning too fast" and disable
> > it for a minute or so.
>
> That's a big drawback. I just start it from a script on boot-up, and
> if the server messes up, I usually reboot the whole server. I reboot
> about once a month, in any case.

Once it's configured correctly it's not that bad. All my systems run
sshd anyway. And it has the added benefit that init restarts the server
automatically if it should crash or the user terminates it (Ctrl-Alt-BS
on many architectures).

Unlike Windows 9x, NetBSD is not known to mess up its own configuration
and just stop working for no good reason. Generally, if it works, it
works the next time, too, and continues working until someone screws up
the configuration.

I tend not to reboot my machines at all, unless I do a kernel upgrade or
there is a power outage. Both is rare here.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD:  Flying into the heart of the Sun.  And the i386, and alpha,
         and mac, and powerpc, and...
		-- Greywolf