Subject: Re: Netbsd on Powerbook 160
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Fionn Cleary <fcleary@netsoc.tcd.ie>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/20/2002 16:25:06
On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 03:28:05PM +0000, Fionn Cleary wrote:
> Hi I was given a powerbook 160 and I'm interested in setting up netbsd
> on it. From what i can gather, on 68030 processors, you need a serial
> console to connect to netbsd. Has anyone set up netbsd on one of these
> machines? The machine has 4mb ram and a 130 mb hard disk. The only
> io device thats on the machine is the floppy drive; I have no scsi
> cdroms or the like.
>
> Thanks

Ok, thanks for all your help; I be very busy this past week and had barely
enough time to look at the replies, let alone reply to them.

However, I have what might be called a major problem: the hd appears to have
failed. Whenever I try to load MacOS, the hd makes a 'funny' noise like it's
trying to seek to a place on the disk and shows a flashing picture of a floppy.
Correct me if I'm wrong as I have little experience with macs, but this means
that it can't find the boot sector of the hd? which is a fairly terminal problem.
Add the memory problem (Enough memory to do anything useful is $100+), and I'm
pretty much given up on it.
Any ideas?