Subject: Re: NTPD Time Sync doesn't work (TIMED does!!!)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: RAParker <RAParker@Quadzilla.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/2002 19:32:28
On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 5:40 PM, Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> wrote:
> There's your solution... Try setting up the Proliant as a "timed"
> server. In its "/etc/mk.conf", add
>
>     timed=YES
>     timed_flags="-M -F localhost"
>
> to make it a master, and start "timed". Then just start "timed" on the
> Macs, but without the flags, and they'll automatically declare
> themselves slaves to the master.
>
> "timed" doesn't have to deal with any of the constraints imposed by
> "ntpd"'s theory of operation. There are no sanity checks. Slaves just
> poll the master periodically, and slew as required. Right now my 840AV
> is within 23ms of the i386 master running "ntpd", so it doesn't get
> much better than that.
>
> Frederick

All righty, now that seems to have worked!

NTPD & TIMED (with "-M -F localhost" flags) are peacefully coexisting the
Proliant 850R (no temporal chaos).

TIMED (no flags) is now running on the Quadra 840av (disabled NTPD).

Lo & behold, I watched the time slowly go into sync until now it's perfect!
Not bad at all. I will be doing some more testing later to see the affects
of additional load, but this seems to have created a MUCH better solution
for getting the time on the Quadra more accurate...more often.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Ron

RAParker                   /@@\            .   :   :::   :    :    :   .
     "Don't Panic!"        \@@/            |\      :::   :    :    :