Subject: RE: What do you use NetBSD/Mac68k for??
To: Jonathan Newquist <jnewquis@esu10.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/2002 22:38:58
At 9:48 Uhr -0600 18.11.2002, Jonathan Newquist wrote:
>Regarding your quadra's time-syncing question, have you tried installing
>ntpd?  I got some ridiculous drift rates while compiling kernels &
>packages too, but the problem went away after I got ntpd running.
>
>It was quite easy; even I could do it:
>
>Even if you dont have a good outside clock server, you can make all your
>internal boxes "peers" to each other, and they should sync well enough for
>your logfile purposes.  I have heard DEC machines had excellent clocks;
>dont know if that would be true of your Compaq too.

If you have a good time-keeper around running *nix, I'd recommend setting
it up with a timed server side-by-side to ntpd, and let the clients run
timed slaves. ntpd is quite heavyweight on the m68k scale, and its greater
accuracy over timed is irrelevant for mac68k.

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email