Subject: Re: What do you use NetBSD/Mac68k for??
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/16/2002 12:15:20
Hello Jason,

  JPY> I'm just curious what other people are doing with
     > their setups. I am now up and running with my SE/30...

I probably don't qualify since I'm not running NetBSD on any
68k Mac at the moment.  That said, I've been renovating some
machines and have a couple of jobs that might be well suited
to a small Mac running NetBSD/mac68k.

There's an equipment room in a basement about 150 miles S.
of me, that (among other things) houses a PBX with a serial
console port and an environmental control thinggie with a
serial console port.  I'm thinking that a well-placed Mac
could run something like cu or kermit on its serial ports
and perhaps also run sshd so that the appropriate person can
connect from elsewhere on the office LAN (I'll tell the
firewall not to let people in from elsewhere).  I think both
serial ports run at 9600 BpS, so it shouldn't be too taxing.

I should also put something in the rack that's capable of
running ping, nslookup, perhaps telnet, ftp and traceroute
and ideally run a Web browser for some configuration and
testing duties.

The same machine could probably do both of these jobs.  I
have some nice SE/30s, but they're not well suited because
the monitor doesn't power down separately.  We have some old
PowerBooks (140, 165c) that would be great from a rack-space
point of view, but lack a 10baseT port and probably wouldn't
be up to running NetBSD in any case.  It is probably a toss-
up between my Quadra 700 and a Performa 638CD unless an LC
III turns up in the mean time.

- Andy Ball.