Subject: Re: Odd install issues with 1.5.2 on a PB165
To: Jon <k_m34@yahoo.com>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/15/2002 12:51:46
> Booting...transparent = 1
> MID_M68K executable: entry 0x2e00.
> 1806668+100204+227448+208980+209617
>
> Failed to set kernel symbol _boothowto.
>
> <end>
>
> At which point would hang.   Other entries in the Booter log that were
> successful have the same numbers.

	Those numbers look OK to me, too, which rules out a corrupt kernel.

> Anything more that I should do in db to help?

	Well, not necessarily on db, but yes

	... search for the boothowto symbol in the actual
kernel file that caused the Booter to produce this error.

e.g. nm /netbsd | grep boothowto

	I remember this error when I started modifying the
Booter to support ELF. The ELF kernels did not seem to have
the symbol _boothowto. I of course suspected my code was bad.
After copious debug, it seemed that the kernels had something
like boothowto instead. I didn't believe it until I took the
kernel file over to Solaris and looked through it.

	Perhaps this kernel file was compiled with some strange
combination of build sets?

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au    |    "Things  you  own        |
| Telstra BI&D,  Sydney, Australia         |     end up owning you"      |