Subject: Yet Another Install/ Boot Quandary...
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Newquist <jnewquis@esu10.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/2002 15:50:35
This is the LC3 system [030/33mhz/20ram/800hd/FPU] I have posted about =
before:

I gave up on the sysinst method, which was always segfaulting when it =
called pax to unpack the sets.

Traditional method seemed to install fine.  And yes, I ran MAKEDEV at =
the end too, while still in the installer.

But Boot dropped out to the db> prompt after saying

root file system type: ffs
init: not found
panic: no init
Stopped in pid 1 (init) at	cpu_Debugger+0x6:	unlk	a6

Theory #1: =20

Am I using an incorrect version of Booter [2.0.0a7] or Installer [1.1h] =
or mkfs [sioux?] or HD SC Setup [2.0.3] to install 1.6?

Theory #2:

Am I maybe putting init on a bad sector, the same sector that was giving =
me that "CBD error" grief last month?  If I make my swap partition say =
60Mb & likely cover that sector, what are the chances it will cause =
further grief?  Are there any free MacOS-side disk-surface checkers?

Any pointers at this point?

Thanks!