Subject: RE: Re: Opinions on OpenBSD??
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Thompson <paul@abyss.co.nz>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/12/2002 19:50:23
I have to agree, My biggest issue with NetBSD for Mac68k is the robustness of
the SCSI driver. If the port is going to survive, we have to be able to
upgrade disks. I recently purchased a 9gb SCSI disk (The smallest SCSI drive
available at the time), while this worked ok in MacOS, in fact it worked
perfectly, it crashed and burned big time with NetBSD. I followed the usual
tricks with no success. (1.5x and 1.6 failed), the only way I could get it to
work was to make the entire NetBSD partitions to be 1gb or less, which is
somewhat a waste of the other 7.9 GB (.1 is used to boot into macos :-) )

I resolved the issue by putting it in my one of my Sparc Classics and
installing Solaris on it, works well. Once I've got my files moved from my
Mac to the Sparc, I'll only have one NetBSD server left, which is a
webserver, but that will probably become a Sparc in the near future too,
Guess who got a good deal on Sparc Classics? :-)

Cheers, Paul.