Subject: RE: Re: Opinions on OpenBSD??
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Newquist <jnewquis@esu10.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/12/2002 13:16:21
I can tell you why I went with NetBSD:

It works with one of the network cards I was able to find for my LC3.

You are right, NetBSD has been on the mac68k since a bit before OpenBSD =
split off.  But I think that was so long ago, it doesnt make much =
difference now.

On the other hand, the Open crowd doesnt seem to be doing much to =
maintain their mac68k port, from what you said.  The mac68k people seem =
to have pretty much stayed with Net.  I see people post to this list =
every few days, whose names are in the source code from way back.

And the documentation just isnt there for Open, like you said.  Net at =
least has a detailed support-status list, even if it isnt kept up to =
date.

I do wish we had some explanation of the drive-compatibility status.  I =
am finding that a lot of scsi drives that physically fit, just dont work =
[for example, "scsi bus busy" on barracuda drives].  Even branded Apple =
drives, problem-free in MacOS, I am getting bad sectors [I =
think--"unrecoverable CBD error" that wont let fsck run] in NetBSD.  And =
the sysinst kernels are segfaulting on me when they get to running =
"pax".  It didnt do that when I first installed 1.6 last month.  Maybe =
drive issue, maybe not?

The result is, I may not be able to stay on this list much longer.  :-(  =
Been fun though...

But congrats on getting Open going on an se/30.  Do you have networking =
with that?

-jn