Subject: PPP connections
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Richard Massey <richardm@clear.net.nz>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/09/2002 22:52:06
I'm having problems with establishing stable ppp conections with 1.6
(GENERIC and Custom) on my Q650 with 48MB ram and D-Link 56K modem.
I'm using Bob Nestor's kit that was built for 1.3 (I think).
With each version it has got slower and the stable serial port speed has
fallen.
With 1.6 it seems especially flakey and I now have the serial port speed
down to 56K in order to avoid NetBSD dropping PPP on package installations
more than half the time. The system burden "make" imposes seems to be
significant.
What are the most stable options to use??
Should I disable in-kernel compression?
Does anyone have any modem initialisation tricks (currently AT&F1&D0).
Is this kit supersceded?

Cheers
Richard Massey