Subject: Re: performace of console display
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Mattias Sandstrom <mattias@beauty.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/2002 19:00:23
Mattias Sandstrom wrote:
> anybody knows where a good place to start working on this might be?

ok, i've realized what the "problem" is. wscons simply doesn't use any
kind of buffering, which means if you print a string containing four
line feeds to the console the screen will scroll four times. maybe this
is the behaviour everybody wants, since with (infinite) buffering a cat
of a long file would just show you the last 34 (?) lines, while without
it you will see the entire file scroll by, but to me it seems like a
very bad idea on a slow machine.

now, i guess a console is a serial interface so there's no such thing as
a string, only a character, but simply waiting a tick before writing one
and if you get another one during that time you print both at the same
time, and so on for an infinite amount of characters would give us a
much faster console, right? to avoid too much confusion we could easily
let any console input or any control character flush the buffer.

is this a bad idea or a good one? i can see several reasons not to mess
with the wsconsole code like this, but i don't know. would writing a
program like dt to handle such things be a better idea? perhaps actually
modifying dt would be the very best idea. does dt write directly to the
raster device or via wscons?

	/matt