Subject: Re: Harddisks,
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Richard Massey <richardm@clear.net.nz>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/27/2002 22:02:09
>On 27.09.02, 19:36:31, Paul Thompson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I know this isn't directly related to NetBSD, but I'm going to ask anyway. I
>> want to install a bigger hard-drive into my Quadra 650, running netbsd, In
>> this case I want to do a swap and take the 2gb drive out and put in a bigger
>> one, The smallest I can find is a 9gb SCSI 3, Ultra Wide, Assuming I get a
>> cable with the 50 pin SCSI 1 plug on one end and 68 pin plug on the other,
>> will it work?
>
>Yes, most likely.  You will probably not find such a cable directly, but
>there are adapters to connect wide devices to narrow cables. The disk
>drive will detect that there is only a narrow, single-ended other end to
>talk to, and will downgrade accordingly.
>
>> Cheers, Paul.
>>

>--
>Bernd Sieker
>
>NetBSD - your basement or mine?
>		-- Julian Assange

Just note
I've attempted this with a 18.3Gig drive.
There are possible problems with the adapters and impedence mismatching.
I cannot get NetBSD up and stable, see earlier posts.
I haven't given up but I'm rapidly running out of ideas.
Bob Nestor has had success with a narrow drive and also problems with a
wide one on a narrow bus with an adapter.
The NetBSD drivers may be too sensitive to irregularities as MacOS seems OK
so far.
Any comments from SCSI or driver wizards out there??

Good luck
Richard