Subject: Re: sysinst bug and errors
To: Takeo Kuwata <tkuwata@virus.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/02/2002 19:50:22
On Monday, September 2, 2002, at 07:18 PM, Takeo Kuwata wrote:

>> I keep getting the same error whenever I try to newfs the disk:
>> uid 0 comm newfs on /:file system full
>> /: write failed, file system is full
>> (See my prior mail called "sysinst error: uid 0 comm newfs on /:file
>> system full" for more info)
>
> This error appeared in the following machines,
>
> Duo230 (68030, no fpu)
> PowerBook520 (68LC040)
> PowerBook165 (68030, no fpu)
> LC475 (68LC040)
> LCIII+ (68030, no fpu)
>
> However, this error did not seen in LC475 ("full"68040) and LCIII+
> (68030, plus
> fpu).
> Maybe, fpe (or something related with fpe) results in this error.
> I tested only Duo230, and others were tested by Mr Inanaga.
>
> Additionally, I installed 1.6F to Duo230 from Installer. Duo230/1.6F
> booted up,
> but I got the same error when I tried newfs a partition. Thus, this
> error is
> not only in sysinst.
>
>> This is actually a Machine Independent error that has been reported on
>> some of the other ports as well.
>
> Really?

Well, the same error has been reported on other ports but it may be
caused by a different set of problems.  There it appeared to be a lack
of free space or inodes on the md device.  I verified that the mac68k
Installation Kernel has more free space and inodes than the i386 which I
found worked fine.  There might be a problem in the mac68k port with the
default disk configuration values.  I've built a set of Installation
Kernels based on today's sources.  If you'd like to test them you can
find them at:

   ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/netbsd-INSTALL.gz
    and
   ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/netbsd-INSTALLSBC.gz

They should work fine for installing any version of 1.6.

Please let me know if you try these and how they worked.  If the fixes I
put in solved the problem I'll submit them.

Thanks,
-bob