Subject: Re: Still dumb - another newbie question
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Lincoln Rutledge <lrutledge@fairfield.lib.oh.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/2002 13:10:22
Frederick,

You replied first so I'm bugging you...

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:41:40 -0500 (CDT)
Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Lincoln Rutledge wrote:
>
> > Folks, I have been scouring docs online as well as man pages, and
> > haven't found any answers:  on the default NetBSD 1.5.3 mac68k
> > install, is there a way to configure the onboard framebuffer video
> > on my Quadra 610 to run X at 800x600 or better?  There is no
> > xf86config - type script, and I can't find an XF86Config or
> > .xsession or somesuch configuration file.  It is currently running
> > 640x480 in 1-bit mode.
>
> None of the available servers support mode-switching. Just switch into
> 800x600 before booting NetBSD, or else set the Booter to switch.
Hmm...
I didn't realize that the MacOS setting would have anything to do with it...
I will have to look at that.  Now, I have to say that I am running a straight base install of System 7.1, and I'm using a chintsy VGA adaptor that came with a new monitor to plug my monitor in (PC 15-pin vga monitor), and I *think* I've tried switching resolutions in MacOS, but no other options were available or they were grayed out (I know nothing about MacOS).  Are there any tricks to that/ additional stuff to install to switch resolutions on a non-Apple monitor like that?

> > The only info I have found talks about using a color Xserver, which
> > it doesn't look like supports my onboard video anyway.
>
> There's an easy way to found out...
I have to get it on the net.  I won auctions for two ethernet transceivers, and subsequently the seller tested one and it was bad, and I haven't heard anything from the other seller in a couple weeks...  Also I bought a coax NuBus ethernet card, but I don't have a NuBus adaptor (doh).  Then there's finding a hub with coax connection or putting a combo nic in another machine and adding the route...

> > I *think* my machine has 1mb Video ram on the mainboard, but I can't
> > remember if the 30-pinner was 512k or 1mb...
> >
> > I was thinking it should at least do 800x600 though...
>
> Just see if works while in Mac OS, using the Monitors CP.
>
> Frederick

Thanks for the advice,

Lincoln