Subject: Re: quadras & scsi ID's
To: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
From: Nigel Pearson <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/2002 15:45:47
I said:
> The MacOS does something tricky, though. If your disk is at ID 4,
> and there is no ID 4 on the internal bus, then the SCSI calls to the
> MacOS for ID 4 will just work. i.e. the Booter will find and load the
> kernel. (note that  have not verified this)

Riccardo Mottola reported:
> It does not work.
> I have 0&1 as internal disks and 4 as the external disk with MacBSD. I
> disabled all other external devices to make less confusion. The booter
> doesnt find the kernel on 4.

	Could I trouble you to set the debugging level to 2 or higher?
(Options -> Startup)

	This should verify if the problem is in the partitioning,
or if it really cannot read anything from that disk.

---
	The MacOS behavior I mentioned is documented in a few places.
(e.g. in the SCSI manager 4.3 doco:)

Locating SCSI Devices

SCSI Manager 4.3 supports multiple buses, allowing a client to specify
a device based on its bus number as well as its target ID and LUN.
To emulate original SCSI Manager functions that understand only a
target ID,
the technique first used in the Macintosh Quadra 900 has been expanded
include not only built-in SCSI buses but any compatible HBA installed
in a
NuBus or PDS expansion slot.

When multiple buses are registered with the XPT, emulated original SCSI
Manager transactions are directed to the first bus that responds to
a selection for the requested target ID. The target ID specified in
a SCSISelect function is called the virtual ID because it designates
a device on the single virtual bus (which encompasses all original SCSI
Manager-compatible buses).
----

	My next suggestion would be that if there is an extension
called "SCSI Manager 4.3" in the active System Folder, try removing it
and rebooting to see if the Booter behaves as I thought it would.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au   | "Now the world has gone to
bed,
| Telstra iDevelopments, Sydney Australia |  Darkness won't engulf my
head,
|   Office: 8255 4222    Fax:  8255 3153  |  I can see by infrared,
|   Mobile: 0408 664435  Home: 9792 6998  |  How I hate the night."
-Marvin