Subject: Re: disklabelling an ide drive
To: None <sibagaki@lsi.melco.co.jp>
From: schaecsn <schaecsn@gmx.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/26/2002 01:45:34
Hello,

# schaecsn> Unfortunately the booter (Booter2.0.0a7.sea.hqx) can't boot from my ide drive.
# Takeshi> Now, 2.0.0a11 is latest. Please use this.
# Takeshi> See, http://homepage.mac.com/nigelpearson.

the latest version 2.0.1a2 doesn't show the warings, anymore.

# Or, Would you put a kernel on the Mac OS partition, and load it?

yeap, that let's me actually boot netbsd !*

For my complete happyness there are two minor issues to resolve:

- Netbsd looks for the root filesystem on wd0a - mine is at wd0b. Since it's not found on wd0a I get prompted in the middle of the boot process to enter the proper root filesystem. the same is true for swap. Is there a way (bootoption ?) to tell netbsd to look for root and swap at wd0b/wd0d?

- Swapping is not activated. While booting I get

swapctl: /dev/wd0d: device not configured?

That's what the FAQ says:

$ As of NetBSD 1.3, swap devices are configured dynamically at boot
$ time and can be specified on arbitrary partitions. All you have to do
$ is record your swap devices in /etc/fstab. Make sure that you have at
$ least one swap device or NetBSD will not configure any at boot
$ time. Please see the swapctl (8) manual page for more details.

my fstab looks like this

:
:
/dev/wd0d	none	swap	sw	0	0

remember, I do have the mac os disklabel and not the netbsd disklabel, e.g. the filesystem type of wd0b and wd0d is "unkown". is this the problem?

Thanks,
 Stefan

--
   ___  ___       __         |   Name: Stefan Schäckeler
  /  / /  /____  (__)__  ___ | E-mail: schaecsn@gmx.de