Subject: Re: Packages for 1.6
To: Sebastian <sbrady@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/22/2002 23:22:42
On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Sebastian wrote:

> I've installed NetBSD 1.6 on my Quadra 700, and it seems to be working fine.

No you haven't. It hasn't even been released yet. Look again at the
output of "uname -v". Are you running a beta or release candidate, or
current?

> I'm now wondering where I get packages from to install. I couldn't find them
> where the install manual says: ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.6/mac68k

Look for them some time after 1.6 is actually released, perhaps quite
a long time after.

> (IIRC). I tried to install apache from .../packages/1.5/mac68k/All, which
> seemed to work, except when I started apache I got a error about
> libcrypt.o.0.0 (or something like that) being missing.

No doubt, it's "libcrypto.so.0.[0-2]" that's being asked for, but
that's only part of the problem. You would need all of the base
libraries from 1.5.x, on account of the binary format change.

> Does this mean that I
> need to build it from source?

That would be a good idea. Ordinarily, you could run a package built
for 1.5 with the help of the compat15 package (which doesn't exist
yet), or by extracting the shared libraries from the 1.5.3 sets, but
I wouldn't recommend that in this case:

1) There are known security issues with the openssl libraries in
1.5.3. For "init" and "login" and such the vulnerabilities are
probably not exploitable, but you're talking about a web server.

2) NetBSD-1.6/mac68k uses a different binary format than all
previous mac68k releases. While it's not *that* difficult to set
up a.out emulation under ELF, if you don't already have an a.out
legacy, why start now?

3) Once you have "pkgsrc" set up, building "perl" and "apache"
shouldn't take more than a couple of hours on a Quadra 700. Also,
make sure you're running a fairly recent 1.6_RC1 snapshot (if you're
not running current) as openssl was upgraded to 0.9.6g after the beta
cycle started. Type "openssl version" to see which version you have.

Frederick