Subject: Re: Sonnet Presto
To: Marco van de Voort <marcov@dragon.stack.nl>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/12/2002 15:13:32
At 11:42 AM -0400 7/11/02, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>Machine: IIci 32 MB Radius 24AC + accellerator (see below
>Software: NetBSD 1.5.2  booter 1.11.4a3
>
>I received my Sonnet Presto 040 last week, (to hopefully be faster than
>the Daystar 030/050 which does work btw), but I haven't gotten it to work.
>
>Did somebody already try this (I'm aware of the 040 in a 030 warning)

I recall that when I tried an 040 accelerator on a IIci some time ago it
had problems. I think it might have something to do with the way the
machine maps part of the DRAM for video memory for the internal video. I
forget if using internal video instead of the video card made it go away,
though. Anyway, give that a whirl.

I think the problem stems from the fact that the way the DRAM is mapped for
video changes when you put in an 040 accelerator and NetBSD can't deal with
this condition. Also, when you don't use internal video, I think the
machine changes the memory map and this may be different when running under
the accelerator.

>- Is there any hope in getting the Presto running?

Possibly, but it would seem that NetBSD would have to know that it was
booting a IIci with the accelerator and adjust the way it deals with video
RAM or adjust its understanding of where stuff is mapped.

Anyway, that's my idea. :-) I could be wrong. If you know how to hack a
kernel, it might be worth a try to see if you can fix this.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org
 "I'm too old to use Emacs." -- Rod MacDonald