Subject: Re: sysinst
To: Daniel Parks <daniel@mwdesign.dyndns.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/07/2002 15:35:56
On Sunday, July 7, 2002, at 02:40 PM, Daniel Parks wrote:

> From Bob's install doc:
>> [ . . . ] the system can probably be squeezed onto a 40 MB hard disk
>> by leaving off an unnecessary set or two. To actually do much
>> compiling or anything more interesting than booting, at least 8 MB of
>> RAM and more disk space is recommended. About 95 MB will be necessary
>> to install all of the NetBSD1.6_BETA1 binary system distribution
>> sets [ . . . ]
>
> I tried to install base, etc, kern, man, and comp on my 141 MB
> partition and it ran out of space while unpacking comp. Somehow this
> corrupted the disk pretty badly; fsck wasn't able to fix it. Right now,
> base, etc, kern,
>  and man are taking up 76 MB. Looks like comp should just fit
> (ungzipped, it's about 50 MB), but seeing the mess pax made before, I
> don't want to risk it.

Hmmm, the size estimates are pretty old and do need to be increased I
think -- either that or I should try and identify the "unnecessary set
or two" that would make it fit in 40 MB.
I'll update the docs.  Those unlucky few who find they don't have enough
disk space will probably have to upgrade their disks.  Luckily I think I
have a pretty inexpensive solution for that situation.

> On Tuesday, June 25, 2002, at 07:49  PM, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>> Another thing threw me for a loop, but it seems to be the fault of the
>> Booter, rather than sysinstall. Booter 2.0.0a10 uses a wierd heuristic
>> for determining the root partition, while it ignores bzbFlags. I had
>> to get the "Name" field with FWB Tools, and put that in the Booter's
>> "partition" box. (Apple Disk Setup fills that field with "untitled",
>> "untitled 2", and so on.)
>
> I think I ran into the same problem -- I put swap before root for some
> reason (Guess I should have read the install docs more carefully) and
> the booter tried to boot off the swap partition. Hmm, I wonder why that
> won't work. (-; I was able to fix it by changing the partition IDs in
> pdisk (the ultimate partitioning tool).

That would be perfect for booting a miniroot I guess, but it would be
cleaner if the Booter followed the same conventions as the old Mkfs and
Installer.  I wonder if this feature got into the Booter because of a
mistake I made in Mkfs years ago (that has been corrected).

BTW, it was just dumb luck that the documentation suggests creating the
root partition first, but I'm glad it turned out to be good advice.

> Other than those two problems, it went smoothly. Thanks Bob!

Thanks for the feedback!  I'll update the size figures in the patch
files.

-bob