Subject: Re: PPPoE and web redirect (Newbie question)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/18/2002 19:31:11
On 18.06.02, 22:21:50, Patrick Savage wrote:
> >You can check by doing a "ifconfig -a" that the ae0 interface does not
> >have an IP address (no "inet" line), but that pppoe0 (or ppp0) has.
>
> I checked this and found that the ae0 interface does have a IP address. Is this a mistake? I have a
> sn0 address which is the gateway and a dynamic IP address on ppp0. Should I have deleted the
> ifconfig.ae0 file?

There is no IP traffic on the Ethernet interface, so it should not
have an IP address, although it probably doesn't hurt if it has, but
it may be confusing.

I'm not sure about in-kernel pppoe, but for the userland daemon the
Ethernet interface must be "up" for the pppoe to find it, so the
ifconfig.ae0 file should be there and just contain the word "up".

But all IP-NAT, IPF etc. will _only_ use the pppoe interface, and just
pretend the Ethernet interface is not there, it's all handled by the
pppoe daemon.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: The choice of hundreds worldwide
		-- Tom Harvey