Subject: Re: Accelerators in IIci
To: Marco van de Voort <marcov@dragon.stack.nl>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/18/2002 05:24:39
> I've a Mac IIci, and picked up some Daystar 50 MHz 68030 card.
>
> I plugged it in, (nothing else, so no MacOS extensions) and I see the CPU
> delay factor double (compared to dmesg output I piped to file before).
> I also see the pram address change, and nothing else in the kernel output?

You need the Daystar Power Central control panel to enable cache and
accelerated FPU functions (without which you will not get the full
speed benefit). However, you will also need to patch the kernel to use
the new cache, or it will hang during boot.

> There is also a empty spare socket on the Daystar card. Does that mean I don't
> have a FPU on 50 MHz? (not that it matters much. My apps on the IIci are
> integer mainly)

Correct, the socket is for the high-speed FPU.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws. -- Tacitus ---------