Subject: Accelerators in IIci
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Marco van de Voort <marcov@dragon.stack.nl>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/18/2002 12:48:25
I've a Mac IIci, and picked up some Daystar 50 MHz 68030 card.

I plugged it in, (nothing else, so no MacOS extensions) and I see the CPU
delay factor double (compared to dmesg output I piped to file before).
I also see the pram address change, and nothing else in the kernel output?

Can I assume that it is working, or does the value fluctuate.

There is also a empty spare socket on the Daystar card. Does that mean I don't
have a FPU on 50 MHz? (not that it matters much. My apps on the IIci are
integer mainly)

(sorry if these questions are stupid, but I'm quite new to Macs, and Daystar
is out of business. Reference material is hard to find).

P.s.
I also bought a Sonnet Presto 68040 80/40, but it is still being shipped. I
don't really expect it to work, but it was reasonably cheap, and it wasn't
listed as one of the explicitely not working 68040's on 68030. (though the
compability site warns for 68040's on 68030 machines in general)
(but I saw the Presto requires MacOS extensions to activate)