Subject: Re: PPPoE and web redirect (Newbie question)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/17/2002 17:37:27
On 17.06.02, 22:57:59, Patrick Savage wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use Personal web sharing on my iMac running OS X and route it through my Centris 650
> which is running Erik Winkler`s firewall kernel. My ISP uses PPPoe. I am also using DNSupdate on the
> iMac to get a fixed address. Everything is fine going out. I can connect to other web sites and I
> can connect locally to the web server but not through the internet. I get a 'server not found'
> error. I checked the archives and was adding this line to ipnat.conf
>
> rdr ae0 0/0 port 80 -> 192.168.1.10 port 80 tcp
>
> ae0 is connected to my ADSL modem.

ae0 is probably not the correct interface. Since it is connected to
the ADSL-Modem it runs the "PPP over Ethernet" protocol, which is not
IP. The pppoe daemon (in-kernel or userland) encapsulates IP packets
into the pppoe protocol and creates a new network interface, which is
the appropriate IP interface. For the userland daemon it is called
ppp0, for the in-kernel it is pppoe0.

You can check by doing a "ifconfig -a" that the ae0 interface does not
have an IP address (no "inet" line), but that pppoe0 (or ppp0) has.

so use:

  rdr pppoe0 0/0 port 80 -> 192.168.1.10 port 80 tcp

> Can anyone help?

I hope this helps.

--
Bernd Sieker