Subject: Re: Slow SSH connection
To: Chris <mythtech@mac.com>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/16/2002 01:31:35
> Is it normal for an SSH session to take almost 2 minutes between starting
> the attempt to connect, and getting as far as asking for a password?
>
> I am using Mac OS X's command line SSH (open a terminal and type SSH). My
>
> When I tested SSH at work, on the local LAN, there was never more than
> about a 10 second delay (using MacSSH), and less using Nifty Telnet SSH.
>
> If the lag time is normal, so be it (annoying, but I can deal), but I am
> wondering if it is a sign that something still isn't right with my
> IPNetRouter port mapping, and maybe that is delaying the connection
> attempt.

This is normal. OS X's ssh defaults to ssh2, which does take a lot of
startup time on slower machines. The startup time is acceptable on 68060s
and faster processors, but I usually use ssh1 when connecting to my
68040s, VAX, and SPARC (SS2) machines.

Try, from your OS X machines "ssh -1 (other options)" and you'll see it's
a lot faster.

Another thing you can do is you can compile with processor optimised code.
To do this, add this to your /etc/mk.conf:
M68040=YES
CFLAGS+=-m68040

Then update your source tree (plenty of docs on using sup or cvs), then
recompile it, or just recompile sshd.

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs