Subject: Re: Slow SSH connection
To: Chris <mythtech@mac.com>
From: Mark R. Nathan <bsd@nathan.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/15/2002 14:58:37
Chris -

Same scenario here.. and I exhibit the same problem.  Not sure what
to say it is.  I've triple checked my NAT and port forwarding
settings and have seen nothing wrong.

Maybe it's a Mac OS X SSH thing.  I will check from other sources to be sure.

Mark Nathan

On 6/15/02, Chris wanted to tell me:
>Sorry about being full of questions... but hey, I'm still new to all this.
>
>Is it normal for an SSH session to take almost 2 minutes between starting
>the attempt to connect, and getting as far as asking for a password?
>
>I am using Mac OS X's command line SSH (open a terminal and type SSH). My
>connection at home is a 144k iDSL line, and at work (where the NetBSD
>machine is) is a 384k sDSL line. Once connected, there is no real
>slowness, it just seems to be the initial connection takes 2 minutes.
>
>When I tested SSH at work, on the local LAN, there was never more than
>about a 10 second delay (using MacSSH), and less using Nifty Telnet SSH.
>
>If the lag time is normal, so be it (annoying, but I can deal), but I am
>wondering if it is a sign that something still isn't right with my
>IPNetRouter port mapping, and maybe that is delaying the connection
>attempt.
>
>-chris
><http://www.mythtech.net>

        M  I  R  A  B  O  O     M  U  S  I  C     G  R  O  U  P
    Mark R. Nathan                        http://www.miraboomusic.com
    Miraboo Group                   mailto:president@miraboomusic.com
    President                                  mailto:mark@nathan.net

          (a tip for PC users - http://www.apple.com/switch/)