Subject: Slow SSH connection
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Chris <mythtech@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/15/2002 15:39:11
Sorry about being full of questions... but hey, I'm still new to all this.

Is it normal for an SSH session to take almost 2 minutes between starting
the attempt to connect, and getting as far as asking for a password?

I am using Mac OS X's command line SSH (open a terminal and type SSH). My
connection at home is a 144k iDSL line, and at work (where the NetBSD
machine is) is a 384k sDSL line. Once connected, there is no real
slowness, it just seems to be the initial connection takes 2 minutes.

When I tested SSH at work, on the local LAN, there was never more than
about a 10 second delay (using MacSSH), and less using Nifty Telnet SSH.

If the lag time is normal, so be it (annoying, but I can deal), but I am
wondering if it is a sign that something still isn't right with my
IPNetRouter port mapping, and maybe that is delaying the connection
attempt.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>