Subject: Re: sysinst fix
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/15/2002 11:22:02
On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Bob Nestor wrote:

> On Saturday, June 15, 2002, at 10:12 AM, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> > (Note the "." suffix, which means that folks with mime-aware mail
> > readers won't have to save the mime attachment to a file to read it.
> > Even better, just read it into the body of the email.)
>
> Sorry I can't please all developers, but I've already gotten complaints
> about attached files with a "." suffix that breaks other mail readers.

That's wierd, since mime/mailcap pretty much requires a suffix to do
anything useful at all. In any case, I believe the preferred way is to
simply include the patch in the body -- no mime attachments. I've
never gotten complaints about that.

> You'll need to extract the individual patch files and apply them. I'll
> do the cvs diff when I get last nite's 1.6 sources and do an updated
> Installation Kernel build.

While I'm doing all that, let me ask you this: what happens if I have
two or three ffs partitions, and two or there HFS partitions. Won't
the second and third of each be "d" and "e" respectively, displaying
two of the same in the menu? Then, of course, they won't match the
kernel interpretation -- the kernel doesn't make that mistake -- and
sysinstall will then newfs and try to mount the wrong partition. It
certainly does that presently -- there's an open PR -- and I'm failing
to see where you've addressed that problem in your patch.

Frederick