Subject: Installing software in package form
To: NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Bartlett <cb@mythtech.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/14/2002 19:35:22
I have my NetBSD machine up and running (thanks all that helped)... now I
am trying to install some software.

In particular, the two items I am working with are Netatalk and Apache.

I downloaded both via FTP directly to my NetBSD machine. Both are the
"package" format as listed on the NetBSD.org web site.

After downloading, I ran pkg_add on them, and they appeared to have
installed without error.

But when I then follow directions to start them, both won't start. In
both cases, the command I am told to type to start the system comes back
as "Command not found". For instance, for starting Apache, the Apache.org
site says to type PREFIX/bin/apachect1 start. So I type
"/usr/pkg/bin/apachect1 start" and I get the command not found error. I
verified that the apachect1 file is in that directory I specified, and it
is, and doing an ls -F shows it with an * which means it should be
executable (right?). I also cd'd into the directory directly, and just
typed "apachect1 start", and got the same error. And I have tried this
both logged in under my user account, and su'd as root (and logged in as
root just for good measure). I have also tried the commands before and
after a reboot, still no dice.

So what am I doing wrong with the installation, or execution that I can't
get Apache or Netatalk to start? I did not include any command switches
with the pkg_add command, should I have (I read the man pages for it, and
it didn't look like any of the options needed to be used, but then, I am
new to this whole thing, and I don't fully understand what I am looking
at yet). I did the pkg_add when logged in as a user, but su'd as root.
Should I have done it as a regular login as root?

Thanks

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>