Subject: Re: A New Request, LocalTalk
To: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@mac.com>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/12/2002 16:50:17
John Ruschmeyer wrote:

> I think it was actually this one:
>
>     http://www.zilog.com/docs/z180/loctalk.pdf
>
> entitled "Technical Considerations When Implementing LocalTalk".

Perhaps I read that document incorrectly, but doesn't it give a basic
assembler version of how to manipulate the serial chip to do localtalk
transactions? I think the missing pieces have more to do with the
link-layer's frame information and other "software" style concerns.

Basically, couldn't this be used as a foundation for a really crude
LocalTalk link-layer? If we had such a layer, wouldn't that be all we
need to get AppleTalk over LocalTalk, since we already have the Network
and Transport Layers for Appletalk?