Subject: Re: Question about 1.5.3 and 1.6 releases
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/11/2002 10:22:08
On 10.06.02, 16:33:43, Eric J. Feldhusen wrote:
> I was just wondering, has the 1.5.3 release been dumped in
>  favor of the 1.6 release? In other words, don't expect a
>  1.5.3 release and expect a 1.6 release for end of june per
>  release page?

Both releases will go ahead as planned. It has happened before that a
patch release for an older branch (here: 1.5.3) and a new minor
release (here: 1.6) follow one another very closely. 1.5.3 is for all
those that do not want to make the big step to 1.6 (yet), but rather
stay with 1.5.x, but have all the latest bug fixes and security
patches.

Upgrading only to a new patch release is usually very easy and all
installed programs continue to function normally. This is not always
the case with a new minor relase, where some important internals have
often been changed (in 1.6 most notably the unified buffer cache,
"UBC").

Regards,

--
Bernd Sieker