Subject: Re: newbie trouble with vi
To: Marco van de Voort <marcov@dragon.stack.nl>
From: Chris Bartlett <cb@mythtech.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/10/2002 15:53:43
> You probably didn't edit rc.conf after installing, and now booted into
> single user mode.

My problem turned out to be a path issue.

I was trying to open "etc/filename" whereas what I REALLY wanted was
"/etc/filename" I was dropped the leading slash, which naturally meant I
was trying to resolve a path that didn't exist, which would of course
give me the error I was seeing (that is, no such file, because you can't
create a file in a non existant directory).

More vi problems kept me from getting the network setup correctly later
(in spec'ing my ethernet config, I hit "i" to insert, but failed to type
"i" again for "inet", it came out "net", so it couldn't create a valid
route).

But I am happy to report, I am up, running, and can telnet in from
another computer. Now I just have to figure out what I can do with this
thing. (My ultimate goal is to have a web server running with a specific
C based cgi. I can get the source code to the cgi, so I need to learn to
compile it, and I need to learn to install and setup a web server, I am
assuming there is an Apache port somewhere. I will also need to learn to
setup FTP access so I can upload new web pages... the FTP is what I am
about to start playing with, since that at least appears to be
preinstalled.).

I am off to the book store when I get out of work... any recommendations
on good books for dealing with this stuff. I am guessing generic NetBSD
books should cover mac68k concepts well enough (or should I say, I am
assuming the mac68k port is not significantly different than any other
NetBSD port).

Thankfully, you all seem to be newbie friendly, so I got thru the install
process without any major headaches.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>