Subject: Re: Darwin SWIM3 Floppy Driver v0.95
To: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@gatwood.net>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/06/2002 12:22:00

> But why bother writing a SWIM driver in 6502 asm when you can just
> interface to the program that Mac OS loads into them? Seems like an awful
> lot of unnecessary work.

	With sufficient documentation of the interface,
it may indeed be unnecessary, but:

1) If we ever get native bootloading going, the MacOS will
   never have run, which means those 6502 will be empty

2) What happens if something somehow resets the 6502?
   I would imagine that the loaded program goes away.

   In either situation, if we just grab the appropriate code from a
MacOS distribution, there are I.P. issues. If there is a version of
the code in the ROMs, then we may have a workaround, but, um, yuk.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au    |    "Things  you  own        |
| Telstra iDevelopments, Sydney, Australia |     end up owning you"      |