Subject: Re: Darwin SWIM3 Floppy Driver v0.95
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/06/2002 01:12:11
> > I could be mistaken, but I thought those were 6502s (at least in the IIfx,
> > anyway). Extremely well-known and easy to program once we can get at them.
> > Since I'm a Commodore 64 programmer, I volunteer :-)
>
> But why bother writing a SWIM driver in 6502 asm when you can just
> interface to the program that Mac OS loads into them?  Seems like an awful
> lot of unnecessary work.

I'd agree - the Amiga has a 7 port serial card which runs off of a 6502,
and the NetBSD code basically loads the same code that is used in
AmigaDOS. What's needed is the NetBSD part of the code to talk to the 6502
code.

I'd assume that the code for that is in the Mac ROMs, so no copyright
issues would exist.

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs