Subject: Re: Darwin SWIM3 Floppy Driver v0.95
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@gatwood.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/05/2002 22:30:46
On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 12:22:00PM +1000, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au wrote:
> > [David A. Gatwood wrote: -- Ahem, Nigel, attribution. :^>]
> > > But why bother writing a SWIM driver in 6502 asm when you can just
> > > interface to the program that Mac OS loads into them? Seems like an awful
> > > lot of unnecessary work.
> > 1) If we ever get native bootloading going, the MacOS will
> >    never have run, which means those 6502 will be empty
>
> No it won't. By "Mac OS" David means "Mac ROM". It's not so much
> possible to boot anything on that system without its loading.

Right.  Most people I've met in 9-land tend to draw very little
distinction between the two, at least where drivers are concerned, since
most drivers tend to be partially in ROM, and partially in software
patches to the ROM.  The line kind of gets blurred.

Later,
David

David A. Gatwood                                dgatwood@gatwood.net
Developer Docs Writer                             dgatwood@apple.com