Subject: Re: Darwin SWIM3 Floppy Driver v0.95
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Nyef <nyef@softhome.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/02/2002 18:51:41
On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Hauke Fath wrote:

> Code for the DMA-based SWIM III has been available for years in the MkLinux
> kernel sources, afaik even with an acceptable license. Most likely, the
> Darwin code came from there. Unfortunately, driving the MFM mode requires a
> lot of manual work in the early (PIO) SWIM controllers that are only
> loosely related to the SWIM III. That work is hard to do without even a
> description of the chip registers.

Allow me to save you some of that work:

At http://www.dridus.com/~nyef/documents/ you will find a set of notes on
how to control some parts of the SWIM chip.

At http://www.dridus.com/~nyef/macswim/ you will find the code to a kernel
module for running both IWM and SWIM chips. This is a hacked up version of
the IWM module from the 1.5.1 kernel or thereabouts. There is no Makefile
(I trashed it by accident, and the other copy is on one of my collection
of dead macs). The IWM part still works but the SWIM part never has (I
gave up after failing miserably to read a sector address mark). According
to the timestamps on the files the last time I did anything on it was
mid-November. This is straight from my WIP directory and hasn't been
cleaned up at all. If someone wants to use this as a starting point they
are more than welcome to.

> 	hauke

All programming can be viewed as an exercise.
Alastair Bridgewater
e-mail: nyef@softhome.net