Subject: Re: Trouble in 1.6BETA1ville... (05/28 build)
To: dakidd <dakidd@sonic.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/31/2002 06:05:40
On Wed, 29 May 2002, dakidd wrote:

> We recommend creating a non-root account and using su(1) for root access.
> # /sbin/mount -uKernel FPU trap.
> trap type 16, code = 0x0, v=0x0

What it means is that 1) the PowerBook170 has no FPU (Right?), and 2)
something tried to execute an "fmul" instrustion in interrupt context.

One possibility is bad memory, but you've said that 1.4.3. works fine.

Another is a bug. "objdump" shows a lot of floating point instructions
in a GENERIC kernel, but they're all limited to the "FPSP" module
(which is for 68040's). One thing I'm still trying to understand:
".../mac68k/vectors.s" loads the FPSP functions into the vector table
if "options FPSP" is in the kernel config. How can this ever be
correct for a no-fpu-at-all machine?

Frederick