Subject: Re: Protocol of DaynaPORT SCSI/Link
To: Mattias Sandstrom <mattias@beauty.se>
From: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/25/2002 17:32:06
I actually made some progress determining the protocol by using a PC running
BasiliskII (Mac emulator) and logging all the SCSI activity.

From what I recall...

The Dayna is actually a pretty well behaved device. It identifies itself as
a SCSI communications device and uses standard read and write commands,
along with a couple of vendor-specific commands which appear to have
something to do with setup/status (I remember seeing the MACID of the box
come back in one of the response packets.)

Operation appeared to be totally polled. Once every 500ms, the system would
request a 1500 byte read and usually get a zero-byte response.

The two main things which would need to be figured out are:

1) The vendor-specific commands
2) The format of the data sent expected on a read or write command. I
suspect that it is a standard packet, probably without some of the low-level
encapsulation. (Cross checking the Basilisk logs with the output of a
sniffer would probably give you the answer real quick.)

IIRC, the Cabletron works similarly, but totally uses vendor-specific
commands, even for read/wite of packets.

FYI, someone in Japan wrote a driver for the Sonic SCSI/Ethernet box which
appeared, at first blush, to work similarly to the Dayna. It may be worth
running that down too. (Aside to Allen, can we look at getting it into the
tree?)

<<<John>>>