Subject: Re: Clarification...
To: dakidd <dakidd@sonic.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/2002 12:56:29
On Fri, 10 May 2002, dakidd wrote:

> To save further confusion, my previous "can this be done?" post was
> referring to "MacIP" - TCP/IP wrapped in AppleTalk (DDP?) packets, and sent
> over a LocalTalk wire.
>
> Or did I get that backwards? Should it have been "wrapped in LocalTalk
> packets and sent over an AppleTalk wire"? I'm forever confusing AppleTalk
> and LocalTalk. Let's make it even simpler: The cheap, "plug in the dongle
> on each machine, then plug the phone cord in between the dongles and it's
> ready to go" built-in networking capability that almost every Mac prior to
> the debut of the iMac has.

When the first Mac came out, Appletalk refered to both the protocol family
(the equivalent of IP & TCP) and the wiring scheme. When ethernet support
was added, Appletalk was changed to refer to the protocol only, and
"Localtalk" refers to the wiring scheme.'

Technically you are right that the packets are Localtalk packets, but
Localtalk is the only medium that Appletalk runs on that doesn't also
support IP natively. So people gloss over the distinction.

Take care,

Bill