Subject: Re: Mi/X & XDM 1.0b2
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bjarne =?iso-8859-1?Q?B=E4ckstr=F6m?= <bjarne.backstrom@telia.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/13/2002 01:44:27
On Sun, 12 May 2002 15:27:01 -0700, "Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov> wrot=
e:

>At 11:20 PM +0200 5/12/02, Bjarne B=E4ckstr=F6m wrote:

>In /etc/rc.conf put a line like xdm=3Dyes.  Look at
>/etc/defaults/rc.conf to see what the options are.

   I had already done that (xdm=3Dyes, that is), but it didn't help.

>If that doesn't do it then you may need to man xdm for further
>options.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was configured by default to
>not support X connections from outside the box.  Unless you have the
>right authentication methods turned on everywhere that's a big
>security problem.

   It works fine with Mi/X and its local twm manager. Yes, man xdm says
that xdmcp login "can" be disabled by default, and I've almost worn out
man, but can't figure out how to get xdmcp running. Last time (on NetBSD
1.3), it only took flipping a few switches to get it up and running.

   Security is no problem, by the way; it's entirely a local affair. I have
a couple of experiments running, connected to the serial ports of a IIsi
running NetBSD, and I monitor them remotely via cu. Mi/X and twm works
fine, but xdm is a little nicer, I think.

Regards,
/Bjarne.