Subject: Re: Mi/X & XDM 1.0b2
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bjarne_B=E4ckstr=F6m?= <bjarne.backstrom@telia.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@murphy.dyndns.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/12/2002 17:33:14
The original version of Mi/X didn't support this.  You have to telnet=20
in, set your DISPLAY, and start up the window manager yourself.  As far=20=

as I know only eXodus and version 2.0 of Apple's MacX (not OSX) support=20=

xdmcp logins directly.  You can download a full-boat version of eXodus=20=

that runs for 15 minutes at a time from their Web site. (White Pine I=20
think).  There is also a small MacOS program called XDM that gives you=20=

xdmcp-like capability and it will work with Mi/X and MacX 1.2 or 1.7.  I=20=

think there's an entry in the FAQ that tells you how to run it which is=20=

based on some information I posted a few years ago.  If you can't find=20=

XDM in the usual Mac archives I can provide a copy.  MacX is no longer=20=

available, but you can sometimes find it on eBay or in garage sales. =20
Version 1.7 will run on the PowerPC with a patch; version 2.0 runs on=20
both mac68k and macppc although I haven't tired it under MacOSX. XDarwin=20=

is a pretty good choice for MacOSX.

-bob