Subject: Re: TCP/IP over Appletalk/Localtalk when running NetBSD?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: David Buxton <davidbuxton@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/11/2002 21:44:03
Donald Lee at donlee_68k@icompute.com wrote:

> I'll second that.
>
> I have an Asante Localtalk bridge (I don't remember
> exactly what the product name was).  It's a little cigarette pack-sized
> widget that has Ethernet on one side and Localtalk on the other.
> I've used it to effectively give ethernet capability to my non-ethernet
> machines/devices.  It seems to work flawlessly with filesharing and
> printing.  Appletalk is all I've used, though so I can't say anything
> about IP encap.

Great product. To confirm, you can do MacIP (ATalk encapsulated IP) from the
LocalTalk to the Ethernet side of the bridge. You just need something on the
Ethernet side which will unpack the MacIP traffic and send it on to the rest
of the Internet. We were lucky enough to have a nice Netopia router that did
that part for us.

And I think the limit is 8 LocalTalk devices with the Asante bridge.

David B.