Subject: Clarification...
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: dakidd <dakidd@sonic.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/10/2002 22:44:12
To save further confusion, my previous "can this be done?" post was
referring to "MacIP" - TCP/IP wrapped in AppleTalk (DDP?) packets, and sent
over a LocalTalk wire.

Or did I get that backwards? Should it have been "wrapped in LocalTalk
packets and sent over an AppleTalk wire"? I'm forever confusing AppleTalk
and LocalTalk. Let's make it even simpler: The cheap, "plug in the dongle
on each machine, then plug the phone cord in between the dongles and it's
ready to go" built-in networking capability that almost every Mac prior to
the debut of the iMac has.

Anyway, the whole point being to ship (and receive) TCP/IP (wrapped in
whatever is compatible with the wiring scheme) packets through the printer
port of the PowerBook (running NetBSD) to the Farralon dongle, to the phone
wire, to the other Farralon dongle that's plugged into the IIci's printer
port, (The IIci is running MacOS 7.5.5) through the LocalTalk Bridge
software the IIci is running, out the IIci's ethernet port to the PM7500
(running MacOS 8.6), through the soft-router/NAT/connection-sharing package
the 7500 is running, and finally, out the modem port of the 7500 to the
modem, and finally to the rest of the big wide world. Which hopefully
responds by reversing the route just described.

Yeah, I know... I probably just turned things from "slightly murky" to
"clear as mud", right? :)

Anyway, from the answers so far, it sounds like *IF* I can do what I want
to do, it's going to take buying/begging/borrowing/stealing some hardware
(a SCSI<-->Ethernet adapter should do the deed, if I'm understanding
correctly) to accomplish the task. Which means that it's effectively
impossible for me at this point in time.

Oh well... So much for Plan "A". Good thing I cloned the PowerBook's drive
just before starting the NetBSD installation process. At least it'll be
fairly painless to revert to MacOS and pick up where I left off.

Don Bruder -  dakidd@sonic.net      <--- Preferred Email - unmunged
I will choose a path that's clear: I will choose Free Will! - N. Peart