Subject: Re: TCP/IP over Appletalk/Localtalk when running NetBSD?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Don Bruder <dakidd@sonic.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/10/2002 08:47:32
In article <l03102800b9015e41b095@[172.16.7.4]>,
 hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE (Hauke Fath) wrote:

> At 17:28 Uhr -0700 9.5.2002, dakidd wrote:
>
> [Q: NetBSD and tcp over localtalk; nice drawing snipped]
>
> >So... Is there a way, short of writing my own localtalk driver (a rather
> >daunting task...) for me to get the PowerBook back to being able to see the
> >'net? As of right now, the only information I've been able to find
> >regarding networking has been ethernet based. With this old monstrosity,
> >that's not really a viable option (or is it? SCSI<-->Ethernet, perhaps? but
> >that runs into $$ I don't have to spare...)
>
> Getting a 2nd hand SCSI-Ethernet bridge would be the only way, I'm afraid.
> IIRC, there is suport for at least one of them in NetBSD.
>
> MacBSD does not do localtalk, nor do we support encapsulating ip in ddp
> (AppleTalk).

I was afraid I'd get that answer... Guess that means NetBSD isn't likely
to ever be anything more than a "toy" for me. The main reason for trying
to get it running on the PowerBook (the least-used machine in the setup)
in the first place was to act as various network services for the LAN,
taking the load off the PM 7500.

Thanks for the response, even if it isn't the answer I wanted to hear.

--
Don Bruder -  dakidd@sonic.net     <--- Preferred Email - unmunged
I will choose a path that's clear: I will choose Free Will! - N. Peart