Subject: Re: Drive Partitioning
To: Randy Grafton <rgrafton@indatacorp.com>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@shell.spacestar.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/07/2002 02:04:45
On Mon, May 6, 2002 9:56 AM, Randy Grafton <mailto:rgrafton@indatacorp.com>
wrote:
>I got my hands on a Quadra 800. The system came with a 500MB hard drive
that
>has a sticker on it displaying the Apple logo and 'EPROM 1992'. The
company
>that I bought the system from wiped the drive clean before selling it to
me.
>When I try to use the Apple HD SC utility to partition the drive I get a
>message that says the process was unable to unmount the drive because a
file
>may be in use. This same message comes up when I try to initialize the
drive
>or remove the existing Mac partition. The drive is completely empty and I
am
>running the HD SC utility from a boot cd. When I look at the properties
for
>the hard drive it shows that a FWB driver is loaded. If I proceed with a
>straight forward Mac OS install everything goes fine. Any ideas how I can
>reclaim this drive so that I can move forward with a NetBSD install?
>
>Thanks!
>-Randy

In ored to replace the FWB driver you need to
diddle HD SC: use ResEdit to change the single byte
in  wfwr from 0x00 to 0xFF ( this works for HD SC 7.3.5)

" Stamp out root logins .  .  .  . su "   --Bruce Anderson
 This message was created and sent using Cyberdog 2.0, MacOS 8.6,
 awk, find, sed, sendmail, sh, and NetBSD a free Multi-Platform OS.
 NetBSD runs on  44 different system architectures featuring 16
 distinct families of CPUs.   http://www.netbsd.org/