Subject: Still no joy in PowerBook 170-ville...
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: dakidd <dakidd@sonic.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/06/2002 22:16:11
Well, Just got finished installing a minimal NetBSD 1.5 set (base, etc, and
kern) and tried to fire it up.

Got *EXACTLY* the same results as with 1.5.2: the boot appears to proceed
normally, to the "root file system type: ffs" line of the boot process,
then spits out:

panic: cnopen: cn_tab->cn_dev == NODEV

stopped in init at    _cpu_Debugger+0x6:   unlk    a6

I wish I had some idea what I'm up against so I could try fixing the
problem, but so far, the closest thing I've gotten is that it has something
to do with the console device. "Big Bird" says that the on-board video may
not be supported? Yet the page at http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/mac68k/
specifically mentions the PB170 as a supported (as of version 1.4) machine.
So who do I believe?

And if it's not the video being a problem (which I suspect is the case -
After all, I've got video to see the panic - Or is this trouble happening
before I actually start the NetBSD boot process? It looks to me like it's
well into the boot process before the panic happens) where should I be
looking?

Not enough information, and what I do have is contradictory.

Has anybody out there got a PowerBook 170 to actually boot with 1.5 or 1.5.2?

Guess I'll start the download of the 1.4 base/etc/kern when I hit the sack
tonight, and try to install that in the morning. If that doesn't work, I
figure it's a hopeless case. (But darnit, the NetBSD page says 1.5.2
supports 170s! <grumble>)

Don Bruder -  dakidd@sonic.net      <--- Preferred Email - unmunged
I will choose a path that's clear: I will choose Free Will! - N. Peart