Subject: Re: Drive Partitioning
To: Randy Grafton <rgrafton@indatacorp.com>
From: Blake Skinner <malice@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/06/2002 08:11:10

On Monday, May 06, 2002, at 02:52PM, Randy Grafton <rgrafton@indatacorp.com> wrote:

>I got my hands on a Quadra 800. The system came with a 500MB hard drive that
>has a sticker on it displaying the Apple logo and 'EPROM 1992'. The company
>that I bought the system from wiped the drive clean before selling it to me.
>When I try to use the Apple HD SC utility to partition the drive I get a
>message that says the process was unable to unmount the drive because a file
>may be in use. This same message comes up when I try to initialize the drive
>or remove the existing Mac partition. The drive is completely empty and I am
>running the HD SC utility from a boot cd. When I look at the properties for
>the hard drive it shows that a FWB driver is loaded. If I proceed with a
>straight forward Mac OS install everything goes fine. Any ideas how I can
>reclaim this drive so that I can move forward with a NetBSD install?
>
>Thanks!
>-Randy

HDs initialised with Non-Apple drivers are a pain to reformat. If you have a newer computer, I would suggest plugging it into that and reformating with the latest Apple Drive Setup (This is how I got my drive working). If you don't have a newer machine and/or it lacks SCSI, try sticking ADS onto a floppy and reformatting the HD while booted off the CD. If it still won't work properly, use ADS with Zero all data and Low-level format turned on. If that fails, well, small SCSI HDs are fairly cheap right now or you could try to dig up a copy of FWB Toolkit somewhere to reformat it. Good luck!