Subject: Re: problems booting/installing
To: Ben Hencke <bph@multipotentconsulting.com>
From: Mark E. Perkins <perkinsm@bway.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/03/2002 17:35:20
--On Friday, May 03, 2002 14:20 -0700 Ben Hencke
<bph@multipotentconsulting.com> wrote:

> i have a quadra 840av and i cant seem to get netbsd installed/running
> i have formatted drives, etc,etc and installed base, etc, and kern (also
> tried other kernel packages to no avail) the system has 72m ram and 500m+
> root partition. booting from system original system 7.1 (have also tryed
> 8.1)
>
> ive reformatted and reinstalled several times now, even downloaded a
> fresh base.tgz, but the same result occurs.
>
> when trying to boot the system, i get this right before it breaks in to
> the debugger:
>
> [device stuff]
> boot device: sd0
> root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
> PRAM: [stuff]
> root file system type: ffs
> exec /sbin/init: error 8
> init: not found
> panic: no init
> Stoped in init at _cpu_Debugger+0x6:     unlk    a6
>
> any ideas?

I ran into the same problem (I s'pect you're trying to install 1.5.2,
though you don't say as much). It's been some months, but I think I finally
sorted out (via the mail archives) that is problem is peculiar to the Q840.
I solved it by installing 1.5. You might also consider installing the most
recent ELF snapshot.

HTH,
Mark