Subject: Re: value of Powerbook 520 and 540c?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Bruce ONeel <beoneel@bluewin.ch>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/02/2002 16:36:18
Hi,

It runs NetBSD 1.5.2 just fine with a few changes, see
http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/beoneel/NetBSD.html.  I'm
sending this email to you from within Squeak running on the
 PB540 running 1.5.2.  You'll probably want more than a 160
meg disk, and the more memory you have the better.

At the moment it is a bit ofa diy project.  You'll need a new
libc with the fpe buitlt in as described above, and then
you'll have to build a sbc kernel since there is no 1.5.2 one,
and while you're building the kernel you'll need to tweek ams.c
soo that the trackpad works in X.  The web page
details all of this.

Once running it runs failry well.  X works well though I
have no idea if the external monitor bit works.

I have no idea how it compares to an x86 system.

It took me an hour ot two to install from a local disk.

cheers

bruce